Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 2 of Switzerland

Waking up to a blast of sunshine today was a welcome change from the rains of the past two days. With that in mind I headed out for a wee bit of a hike. Walking along the river Rhine, I went from the old town of Schaffhausen to the largest waterfall in Europe the Rhinefalls. It was an impressive ton of water but not really what I was expecting. I had thought height of the falls as opposed to width and volume of water. Still it was gorgeous. 


I had originally planned to get a boat out to the rock to get a close up but the place was crawling with tour buses and my least favourite type of tourists-teenagers. No matter what country they are from teenage tourists are the most annoying as well as the rudest. I say this a wealth of tourist experience and snobbery.


So that scuppered that plan so I continued along the right side of the Rhine bank. It was glorious. I stopped for a picnic lunch (there were many picnic benches along the way) and walked a total of 17km till I stopped at the tiny village of Jestetten then I crossed the river. I walked back along the river and then to the top of the Rhinefall. Back around to the other side of the falls again and then a well earned beer overlooking the falls.


Along my walk I encountered bright blue dragonflies longer than my fingers, snails the size of my palm, black sheep, donkeys, an animal I can only presume is a cross between a goose and a turkey and an alpaca called Romeo.


Also a lovely lady in a canoe in her 50s. We had a great chat, she couldn't quite understand why on earth I was traveling in Switzerland by myself, she has never her village of 135 people let alone gone to another country. She has 3 daughters and one of them is away for 2 weeks and she has found it really hard and is missing her so much. I tried to explain the reasons for traveling but we lost a lot in translation.
Anyway after the falls again I got back to Schaffhausen into for the Swiss playing in the world cup. I had walked a total of 40km plus so I was more than happy to sit down with a beverage.

The game went for two hours and for reasons I can't fathom all the extra time was to allow the Swiss tone to score (must get Conor to explain all that when I get home) but unfortunately the Swiss couldn't and so they are out. Everyone was a bit woeful for a while but they rallied well!!

Cordon bleu with Gorgonzola cheese in front of the soccer
Picnic lunch overlooking the river
Fields of wheat and sunshine
Schaffhausen on the river
Beer over the Rhine falls
The falls!
Wine and soccer
The Rhine

1 comment:

  1. I love that the plates and the biscuits are being put to good use!

    ReplyDelete