Friday, July 11, 2014

Final day in Switzerland

So today I'm leaving Schaffhausen and heading off on a new adventure!! But it wasn't going to be till late in the afternoon so I checked out, left my bag behind and sought out the local museum.
It didn't open til 11 so I went to a nearby cafe and once again attempted a hot chocolate. I've had a few goes in Europe for a decent hot chocolate and mostly they have been unimpressive. This one was the most surprising so far in that the waitress gave a me a cup of hot milk and a packet of powdered chocolate to make my own. And you know what? It was the best so far!
Anyways then off to the museum. It was all in German but they gave you an English translation book for all exhibitions. It started off with a settlement of the area and moved through time to show how Schaffhausen became what it is today. This was combined with general history of the area. I learnt all about knights of the area that created Schaffhausen; they were once nobles who decided to make themselves knights. Then monks that settled in the area, then the richest noble who owned Schaffhausen who gave the town to the monks. And of course of the Rhine which is what Schaffhausen is dependent on. Also that the definition of the name is ram town (but no one knows why, at first they thought it was ladle town but decided that ram made more sense!)
The museum took most of my time because it was so fascinating and then I treated myself to a final Swiss lunch.
Then a train ride later and I'm at the airport. Two flights later and I've started my new adventure in the middle of the night in Tallinn Estonia.
I got to the hostel at about 1am Estonian time (yep changed time zone did not realise that all, nearly missed my second flight!). It was called love peace hostel and you left your shoes at the door and then apparently went out and got drunk. I was a bit boring and just went straight to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment